The American and European students, as a rule, write a college or biography essay about themselves which is a must to enter into a college or university. Such kind of a document tells the reader about the overall information about the applicant: introduces his/her biography, reflects the motivation for studying and plays the role of the indicator of the way the student thinks, his intellectual skills, and the ability to express some point of view consistently and logically.
Why the Question “How to Write a Biography Essay?” Appears
When applying for the loan for study, entrants should substantiate his request in the form of an essay. The target is to formulate their own vision of their development and opportunities to realize in this very college or university. Even a job applicant should send an essay to a potential employer.
You see that to write a biography essay is extremely important as it guarantees the successful result of your request, especially if you managed to show yourself as one having an individual writing style and the rich vocabulary.
You should not be careless about composing that. So, if you set yourself the goal like “I should do the best to write my essay, be attentive when reading the info below or click the link.
The Main Goal to Write an Essay for College
When you ask yourself how to write a short essay about yourself, first of all, you should keep in mind its mission. So, such an essay has the aim to persuade the members of the admissions committee that you are the best candidate to whom they should give preference. While writing an essay, try being proud of yourself. Remember the proverb “Respect yourself, or no one else will respect you.”
With the help of the essay for a college, you establish the communication with the members of the enrollment board, and in order to benefit from this communication, a potential “freshman” should:
- know what the target audience is expecting from you;
- be aware of what exactly you want to receive from the study process at the university;
- be able to correctly tell about the unique set of personal qualities and skills that make you special and show your talents.
Writing a biography essay adds really much to receiving a prestigious education. That is why, when writing a short essay, keep in mind the common rules:
- committees of different faculties evaluate college letters according to different criteria that depend on a chosen educational sphere;
- a reference to the short-term and long-term goals of the study is welcomed;
- description of personal experience and achievements are strongly recommended;
- a brief description of the training and achievements in the target area is a must.
How to Write an Essay About Yourself
The most interesting biography facts about yourself should be mentioned at the very beginning of an essay for college as nobody can guarantee you the fact your essay will definitely be read till the end.
- try to point out the facts about yourself in the way the reader has the opportunity to follow your development in personal and professional aspect as well;
- divide the essay into paragraphs. Encourage yourself to use the linking words. The top performance is when every new paragraph resembles a short story with the rising action, climax, and denouement;
- the rising action is the part about an essay that should make the reader go ahead with your text till the end. Make it as much exciting as possible: don’t forget to write the quotations, examples from life and unordinary facts about yourself;
- the appropriate conclusion shouldn’t be ignored. Its task is to leave a positive feedback for the entire text. It shouldn’t look like a sum up of all the information but reflect the things from the alternative side and contain additional data about your goals and motivation;
- edit your college essay in a few steps. Firstly, write a text. Then, read it one more time to search for grammatical and spelling mistakes.
Note that the person who will read your college essay is looking forward to get the answers to their queries. So, don’t make the reader get disappointed about that. Below is the information to be taken into account:
- personal qualities analysis (such information will be judged from the point of view as of how you appreciate yourself and others);
- stay sincere (people who face such letters on a daily basis can easily identify the “fake”, it won’t give you points);
- write about your work experience, achievements, skills, and a few concrete reasons why you have chosen this very specialty, the future plans and ways to improve yourself in this sphere;
- goals presence with the description of how the education will help you to achieve them;
- the logical structure of a college essay. The ability to formulate and write the information about yourself correctly on paper is also an important factor.
Additionally, avoid “dangerous” and multiple-valued topics. Don’t mention any information about your political and religious views, especially if your point of view fundamentally differs from the widely accepted ones. Write simple sentence structures. Don’t complicate the text for the potential reader’s perception.
Don’t write too much about yourself as nobody will read a “novel format” story about you. A college essay is just a thing that gives you more chances to succeed.
Designing Peculiarities of an Essay for College
Surely a possible answer to the question “How to write a college essay about yourself?” may sound like “You may download the ready sample or just copy it!” But it will be much better if you try to compose your personal unique work using general recommendations as a guide.
- Formats of an essay for college:
- Free of any structure. It means that you write about your goals, experience, and personal qualities in a free form.
- “Ask and answer” structure. It resembles the fact-finding questionnaire. Such kind of essay is very popular among MBA applicants. In this case, an essay consists of a few “short story” answers to the separate questions.
- Two types of organizational approaches to an essay for college:
- The theme-based approach. You should accentuate the attention on 3-4 topics and describe them in details. The main advantage of this approach is that you may draw the parallel between two non-chronological events, which you desire to compare and write. Make a research and note some factual information that refers to the topic of your essay or with the topic of the questions. In order not to waste your time and do things repeatedly, sell oneself the idea you are searching for significant arguments to answer the specific questions.
- Chronological approach. That’s quite a simple thing as all you need to do is to write the events in a chronological order.
Prepare relevant facts and try to express the main idea of your essay in a logical way. As soon as you made up your mind in respect to the key essay idea, it remains only to get ready to present it to the audience correctly.
Take a glimpse at the data you figured out and some personal ideas concerning the theme. Write some information that reveals the main concept of your essay. Note that when you have chosen the facts and concept, you did only half of work on your essay. Another no less significant objective is to keep an appropriate structural scheme of any opinion in a written form.
Question Hints to Write a Biography Essay for College
Ask yourself and answer the following list of questions in order to coordinate your work while writing an essay. This will not take much time, but it will definitely help you to steer the thoughts in the right direction.
- What kind of introductory sentence / the key thesis of the essay should I choose?
- What evidence can I provide as a kind of a sample to sustain the introductory sentence / thesis?
- What should I do to write this paragraph or the whole article really engaging?
- Should I really find additional information on this theme and what are the sources to search for?
- What question should I answer in this paragraph or article?
- How should I answer this question ideally?
- What is the key part of my possible answer?
- What more can I add in order to get the reader really involved in this topic?
- What are the reasons for this topic being so important?
Finally, keep in mind that the main concept of your essay should be revealed in the form of answers to all the questions you asked in it. Find the appropriate argumentation to stand for and be ready to “fight” for it in every paragraph of your essay. It should be your thesis statement.